JULY UPDATE: I’m good on my bills & have been able to send some $$ our to support a few political causes, smaller artists, & streamers. However, I had a little less to spread around than usual because I had to buy some books for a novel project I’m working on. So, while it’s a NaNoWriMo month & I’m pretty busy, I could definitely pick up a few smaller jobs if anyone needs a critique or short copyedit. Longer jobs will likely have to be scheduled out into August, but if I finish my draft early (which I’m on track to do) I may be able to pull them in this month.
What I can do
- Critiques (short stories, some creative non-fic, longer fic manuscripts): I offer a full-page detailed critique for works up to 1k words for $5. Longer works up to 3k words run $10, with 2-3 pages of suggestions. Longer critiques can be negotiated depending on my availability & interest in the draft.
- Copyediting (short stories, non-fic, longer fic manuscripts): I offer copyedits for works up to 1k words for $5 or works up to 3k words for $10. I may take longer works if I’m interested & will negotiate price depending on the length/needs of the author.
- Poetry critique: I can critique individual poems up to 700 words for $5 or we can negotiate on a longer manuscript.
- Structural editing (short stories, novellas, novels): If you need someone to really lean into your work, pitch it to me & we can negotiate a cost.
Clarity on terms
- Critiques are written explorations of editorial opportunities I find in your work. I am not here to drag you, but help you focus your revisions. I typically use a point-by-point worksheet for these but if you have a specific concern, please let me know.
- Copyediting focuses primarily on grammatical use, sentence & paragraph structure, & overall structure. I have experience with AP & MLA style conventions & will focus primarily on consistency & effectiveness of grammatical use in fictional works. If you have a particular focus in mind, just let me know.
- Poetry critique is a special, poetry-focused critique that includes an element of copyediting because it’s important to discuss grammatical choices & consistency when considering poetic works.
- Structural editing is involved workshopping of your plot, characters, etc. I’m going to focus more on the effectiveness of the story & message than the grammatical conventions.
I’m basing my token prices on a $10/hr rate & how much time I expect to spend actively working. This rate is slightly below my state’s minimum wage & well below market rates but let me explain why…
I often have very limited availability & may have to schedule projects out weeks or months in advance. My personal workload will always come first & deadlines will be scheduled based on my availability.
Critiques are more of a precursor to an actual editorial process. While I find critique to have a lot of value, you can often find people willing to give you free critiques online. My critiques are structured & take a decent chunk of time so the token compensation is nice.
All things considered, I’m willing to offer editorial services at token prices, but I’m also very limited in what I can offer & when I can schedule new projects. However, if I determine I can’t take your project, I know of several other editors that may be able to help you out — their rates will vary.
Pitch your project
So, what type of projects are likely to pique my interest?
With fiction, I have a lot of love for speculative genres like horror, sci-fi, & fantasy. I’m also willing to copyedit & critique homebrew D&D or Call of Cthulhu materials.
On the non-fiction side, my primary experience is with topics pertaining to arts & entertainment. I’m particularly adept at organizing and parsing articles containing artist interviews. I’m also particularly interested in witchy topics, leftist political thought, & travel.
As far as poetry goes, I like most of it. My favorite themes are the natural world, astronomy, esoteric arts, etc. However, I enjoy analyzing & discussing poetry so I’m open to a variety of topics.
If you have a great idea but have financial issues, let me know. Even my token prices may be negotiable in certain situations.
I shouldn’t have to say this, but don’t come at me with fascist garbage or fucked up abusive shit. You’re wasting your time. I’ve been online for a very long time & I’m not easy to directly upset. All trolling will accomplish is IP bans here & blocks on social media. I will not engage.
If you’ve read all this & have something to pitch, send it over via my contact page.
Like what you see?
If you don’t have an editorial project but want to support my work as an independent writer, editor, TTRPG homebrew creator, bad musician, half-ass artist, tarot blogger, or social media void shouter: I’m not collecting donos at this time, but here are some places you can throw money on my behalf:
- Funds focused on social justice & supporting marginalized communities like The Okra Project, Seattle-King NAACP, Black Lives Matter Seattle-King County, or Northwest Community Bail Fund.
- Independent streamers & Youtube creators. Some of my personal favorites are The Serfs, Chud Logic, & Thought Slime.
- Small label & indie bands who are suffering because of COVID closures. I’d recommend anyone in my bandcamp collection. Also, support smaller local venues like Dante’s (they are still slinging pizza if you’re local in Portland).
- Independent publishers & crafters. There are so many of these that do amazing work & I hate to list just a few but I have personally worked with or ordered from Sage Cigarettes, Nightingale & Sparrow, & Eclectic Enigmata.
- Non-profits supporting independent writing communities like National Novel Writing Month.
If you make a donation to or purchase from one of these funds or creators & you send me a receipt & mailing address, I will send you a postcard or letter to thank you.